Thursday, April 28, 2011

Homemade Crème Fraîche

Sense of Home


Crème Fraîche
In a pint or quart jar, depending on how much you wish to make, pour in fresh sweet cream (not ultra-pasteurized*) add a large or small (depending on how much cream you are using) dollop of plain yogurt or buttermilk, and stir. Cover and leave the jar sit in a warm spot for a day or two (longer if your house is cold).  I placed mine in my microwave so that it was out of the way and it is a warm spot since it is located above my stove.  Once the cream has thickened (mine took two days with temps in the upper 60s, in the summer heat I'm sure it will take less time) it is ready to use.  Store in the refrigerator where it will keep for a couple of weeks.

*Although the directions in the book I used said the cream should not be ultra-pasteurized, the only cream I had available was an organic ultra-pasteurized whipping creme so I gave it a try and it worked just fine.  I also make homemade whole-milk ricotta using organic ultra-pasteurized whole milk and it has worked every time.

Sense of Home / Recipes