Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Kitchen Garden in July


Both kitchen gardens are doing very well and we have been enjoying many salads made entirely with produce from our gardens.


The carrots are still small, but they have been enjoyed in salads.


Cucumbers are producing well, we have picked several so far.


Spinach has gone to seed, but I am leaving it in the hope that some seed will replant itself, providing fall salads, and that the flowers and seeds will attract beneficial insects.


Garden peas are a favorite of mine and we have an abundance this year.


This zucchini planted itself and I did not have the heart to pull it out even though it is crowding the carrots and raspberries.  My garden seems to do best when the plants are a little crowded.


We have enjoyed strawberries and yogurt or oatmeal for more breakfasts than I can remember.


And soon it will be raspberries and yogurt or oatmeal.


The lettuce is doing fabulous despite the 80 - 90 degree heat, I have provided lots of water and it has provided us lots of salads.  I am sorry I have lost the name of this hearty producer.


This garden holds tomatoes, peppers, artichokes, thyme and zinnias.


We are hoping for plenty of jalapenos for salsa!


The tomatoes appear to be producing well, I planted several different varieties, some heirloom, some not, so that they would ripen at different times and provide a variety of flavors.


I love flowers in the vegetable garden, they attract beneficial insects and add a splash of color.


Every year I plant at least one vegetable I have not grown before, just to experience something new.  This year it is artichokes, we love them, but have never grown them, and to be honest I don't know if the season will be long enough this year to see the plants mature.


My grandmother taught me to crochet these dish rags, she said her sister taught her, and I have seen the same instructions on skeins of yarn.  I don't have a dishwasher so all my dishes are washed by hand and these are my favorite dish rags.